RFI

[RFI] New Larger Fair-Rite Clamp-On Part

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] New Larger Fair-Rite Clamp-On Part
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 20:38:54 -0800
While preparing to make a group purchase for several local clubs, I've learned that Fair-Rite now makes a 1.4-in i.d. #31 clamp-on. It's 2.5-in long, and is the equivalent of five of the 1.4-in i.d., 2.4-in o.d. #31 toroids. A big part of the great news is cost -- we're buying 390 pieces at a cost of $9.30 each. We were quoted $10.34 for 60 pieces (two boxes of 30). The last time we bought toroids we paid about $4 each with shipping for 1,100 pieces. That means that we're buying the big clamp-on for less than half the cost of the equivalent five toroids! And it means that we have a clamp-on large enough to hold 7 turns of RG8/RG213-size coax without removing the connector.

The new part number is 2631181381. Although it's listed as a suppression part, it carries the part number of an inductive component, so there are no impedance curves on the online data sheet. I asked, and they promptly sent me a pdf of Z for 1, 2, and 3 turns. 3 turns shows the resonant peak of 2.8 KOhms at about 24 MHz.

I got quotes from Mouser (very high), Kreiger (better), and Arrow. Arrow didn't know about the part and couldn't find it in their catalogs. Dexter gave us the best price and got our order.

73, Jim K9YC.