RFI

Re: [RFI] Update for RFI/Grow Light Problem

To: "t.izak" <k1tl@cox.net>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Update for RFI/Grow Light Problem
From: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 17:19:39 -0600
Thanks for the update, Tom.  Your kind of followup is helpful to all.

Tom  W0IVJ

On 4/7/2014 3:14 PM, t.izak wrote:
Guys,

Got a call today by a lady from the FCC and asked me if I still had the RFI
issue. Apparently, the RFI ceased about four weeks ago. The FCC apparently
mailed a letter to the party in question who were causing the RFI issue and
they replied to the FCC that they shut off the "timer".

All this started about a year ago with the 12hr on/off timer cycle then
would cease for about a week then start up again for about three days
straight and on for 24hrs...then back to the 12/hr timing cycle for a few
months until the "crop" was mature for "picking". This caused havoc on HF
and mostly 6m and this was during our summer Es season. I missed out on some
of the southern propagation, especially the HC as the timing sequence would
start around 4p.m. (EDT)...that really sucked !

After a couple of months of this, I finally wrote to Mike Gruber @ ARRL and
I also sent him an audio file of the RFI I was putting up with here. Not
only did the grow lights cause the RFI, the timer and fans running removing
the "hot air" from the building were a big part of RFI issue. The parties in
question were sent a letter about this issue but they apparently thought
that it was a "joke". I let this run for about another three or four weeks
and then notified Mike again about still having this RFI problem...the next
step was for the ARRL to submit this to the FCC and they probably included
the audio file I gave him.

I think two weeks after I notified Mike Gruber about this second episode,
the RFI ceased. Maybe the letter from the FCC, a Government agency, must
have given them second thoughts about running this equipment.

So, I guess the FCC can help us amateur radio guys out on some of the RFI
issues that we have to put up with!

73
Tom/k1tl...