RFI

Re: [RFI] Nature's RFI on the way.

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Nature's RFI on the way.
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 18:45:02 -0400
On 9/11/2014 12:33 PM, EDWARDS, EDDIE J wrote:

I remember that. We'd essentially be reduced by communicating with the written word with most transportation shut down. For those that would still run, fuel would likely be unavailable. Fresh produce would be unobtainable unless you grew your own and that has hazards.. IOW, even the 1800s would seem advanced because we'd not have the simple things available to fall back on.

If you had an old tube rig (S-line, Hallicrafters, or a few others) and a source of power... but who would you talk to? What would make for a good source of power after most equipment with semiconductors would be fried? We'd no longer have the option of a solid state, QRP transmitter and what about receivers?

IF we detected a big CME directed at earth, the only safe option would be to shut down the grid and disconnect the transformers before the CME hit. Would anyone take that responsibility?

Is there a reflector where this might be more appropriate? Although it does seem like the ultimate QRM to me.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Another good article on the subject from IEEE 2 years ago with good sidebar
articles and video:
"Of all the parts of the power grid, high-voltage transformers are among the
most likely to fail in a geomagnetic storm and also among the most difficult to
replace. If a big storm were to knock out several hundred transformers in one fell
swoop, manufacturers wouldn't be able to supply replacements quickly-there is no
global stockpile. EHV transformers, which can handle voltages of 345 kV or higher,
weigh about 200 tons and cost about $10 million each. Building one requires
exquisite, near-artisanal craftsmanship, including meticulously hand winding the
paper-tape insulation around the copper winding at the transformer's core. One EHV
transformer can take several weeks to assemble and test, and it takes years to train
skilled assemblers. Even the largest transformer plants can build only about 30 to
50 per year. With the shortage of skilled labor and specialized materials that would
likely accompany a prolonged blackout, simply maintaining that level of output would
be a c
ha
  llenge, never mind ramping up new production."

http://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/the-smarter-grid/a-perfect-storm-of-planetary-proportions

The radio outage will be the least of our problems after a big one.

73, de ed -K0iL