RFI

Re: [RFI] LED Street lights

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED Street lights
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 21:12:05 -0700
: Makes sense power-wise but what about RFI issues with these? Any
: known or likely concerns?

Regarding the average street light you may find an many cities...

I've passed under tens of thousands, made by many companies.  All have been
silent except when they malfunction as indicated by flickering or rapid
flashing, then they spew broadband hash from LF to UHF.  At UHF I can hear
them a few hundred feet away, probably much worse on HF.  Think about that
tall steel pole acting as a big antenna.

Kurt