RFI

[RFI] RFI Success

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] RFI Success
From: Tom Thompson <w0ivj@tomthompson.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 10:47:52 -0700
In the fall discovered that my noise level on 20 meters had increased by about 18 dB above my normal band noise. I suspected a grow light situation so I took a loop reading and headed east where there is a neighborhood with a lot of rental properties. I had only walked a few hundred feet when I noticed the loop pointing more to the north. A few minutes later I had the RFI pin pointed to the south east corner of a commercial building just to the east of me. The particular suite was a dentist office. I introduced myself to the receptionist, explained the situation, and left my contact information. A few weeks later, having heard nothing, I revisited the office and left another message. After the third visit I contacted the building owner who said he would contact the dentist and have him contact me. A month went by with no contact, so I called the building owner again. He told me that the dentist had emailed him back that he felt harassed. The building owner suggested that I email the dentist directly. I spent about 30 minutes composing an email that was as diplomatic as I could make it emphasizing that we were neighbors and that I wanted to work with him to remedy the situation. A few hours later I received a very cordial email from the dentist suggesting a time when we could meet. I met with him the next day and he was very nice and cooperative. Within about 10 minutes of walking around his office switching off light fixtures, I located two under the counter fluorescent fixtures which were causing the RFI. He agreed to leave them off until he could get them fixed or replaced. My 20 meter RFI is gone.

I guess the lesson learned here is to be patient and not assume an aggressive stance even when one might assume the other party is on the defensive.

73   Tom   W0IVJ