RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise Cancelling demo from WB6DJI

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise Cancelling demo from WB6DJI
From: "Frank N. Haas KB4T" <utility.rfi.pro@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 13:26:12 -0500
While I respect Mike's desire to work the rare DX and find a solution to
his interference problem, has he contacted his local utility to get that
noise source eliminated?

It's possible I missed a thread here where Mike described his efforts to
get assistance so I apologize if this question has been answered already.

The DX Engineering solution costs $600 and requires that the "sense"
antenna hear the interference as well as, if not stronger, than the primary
antenna. This is an expensive and real estate challenging solution. It
would seem to me that a phone call to the electric utility and/or working
with the local interference committee or even investing in some simple DF
gear would provide a less expensive and more effective solution to the
interference problem.

A continuous 20 dB over 9 interference level should be very easy to
pinpoint. If the problem originates from utility equipment, it should be
repairable fairly easily. If the source is privately owned and the owner is
uncooperative, then solutions like the DX Engineering system might be the
only answer.

Spending $600 and erecting some additional antenna system first without
making any effort to resolve the actual problem seems unfortunate. There is
no guarantee that the interference source won't become even stronger and
more problematic over time.

I certainly don't fault DX Engineering for coming up with an effective
solution. I question why all other efforts to resolve the problem at the
source would not first be tried before making the investment of both time
and money. I'm not a DX-er so it's possible that the $600 investment and
additional antenna system were the only answer to working the rare DX while
waiting for the (admittedly) slower solutions to kick in. Either way, I
hope he finds a way to resolve the problem at the source which is the very
best solution.

73,

Frank N. Haas KB4T
Utility Interference Investigator