RFI

Re: [RFI] High local noise level...

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] High local noise level...
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 16:41:57 -0700
On Sat,3/14/2015 3:19 PM, Kenneth G. Gordon wrote:
Today, I connected the audio output of my transceiver, a Yaesu FT-890,
set to AM-wide, tuned to 3580 KHz, into my computer and fired up
Spectran.

Spectran is exhibiting a very wide-band series of peaks in the noise
which appear to be multiples of 60 Hz.

You are seeing harmonics of the AC power line. This is an indication of improper bonding of your equipment. Study http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf The simple rules are: 1) Get power from everything in your station from the same AC outlet, or outlets in the same backbox, or from outlets whose Green wires are bonded together; 2) Bond from chassis to chassis of every piece of equipment that is interconnected by short, fat copper; 3) Bond from your TX chassis to all the other grounds in your home.

73, Jim K9YC