RFI

[RFI] Fwd: Anyone ID the cause of this rain-initiated RFI?

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Fwd: Anyone ID the cause of this rain-initiated RFI?
From: "Frank N. Haas KB4T" <utility.rfi.pro@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 01:27:32 -0400
Yes, Mike, I am reading these notes. I read everything that comes across
here. However, I deliberately choose not to get involved in the speculation
game. It's a waste of time.

Want to know what is causing your noise? Go out and find it.

This same bit of advice has been given here dozens of times. Forgive me if
that comment seems harsh or unfriendly. There could be a few million
possible causes of the noise being heard. If it can be heard, it can be
found. When it is found, then the source will be known.

I simply don't see the point in guessing what it MIGHT be. You aren't going
to be able to see it or hear it without the right search equipment.

Perhaps the more useful topic would be, "What is the best way to find this
source?" The answer is fairly simple: Equip yourself with a receiver that
can hear it and give you some indication of signal strength. Use an antenna
that will give you directional indications that will lead you to the
source. When you get there, refine your equipment setup to be able to
pinpoint it.

While making your way toward the source, listen ever higher in frequency.
If you can hear the source at 50 MHz or higher, directional indications are
easier to get. That's it as succinctly as I know how to say it. Let me see,
that makes 487 times I've said this. Sources are often intermittent and
easily affected by weather. Keep a log and keep search equipment handy.

So I will not normally comment on "what it might be." I don't want to
encourage anyone to search with their eyes. Nor do I want to prevent
someone from searching with a completely open mind and full trust in their
equipment. Instead, I will be most interested in the story told about how
it was found and identified. This email reflector is filled with such
stories as well as equipment suggestions. Search the archives or buy one of
the good books that teach how it's done.

I hope the person asking what the source might be understands that time
spent asking that question is better invested in searching for the source.

Good luck.

73,

Frank N. Haas KB4T
Utility Interference Investigator
Florida

<returning to the curmudgeon cave>

P. S.  The ARRL RFI BOOK, 3rd Edition and AC POWER INTERFERENCE HANDBOOK by
Marv Loftness are good investments and worthy "training manuals" for the
budding Interference Investigator.