RFI

Re: [RFI] Comcast/Xfinity X1 service

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Comcast/Xfinity X1 service
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 11:22:26 -0700
On Mon,6/22/2015 11:52 AM, Anthony DeBiasi wrote:
Does anyone in the group have experience with the Xfinity X1 service in
their home.

Xfinity X1 is probably nothing more than a marketing name so they can bill us more for the service. :) I've had plain vanilla Comcast service since moving into my home in 2006. The only issues I've had were signal leakage on VHF caused by poorly installed connectors on the coax, and noise from the electronics on the HF and VHF bands radiated either directly from electronics or common mode on interconnecting cables.

I have minimized the common mode component by using WiFi for nearly all of my interconnected equipment (computers, Apple TV, Roku, networked printer) and using serious ferrite chokes on all the connected cables. I run legal limit on all HF bands and 160M, but the closest antenna to the room where the cable modem is located is about 150 ft. I bought that cable modem in 2005. Results may be quite different for shorter separation from antennas and a newer cable modem. :)

73, Jim K9YC

  I have heard from unreliable souces that it does not do well in
an RF enviroment.  If cable is a closed system I do not understand why it
should not work as advertised.  Would appreciate the benefit of anyone¹s
experience.