RFI

Re: [RFI] Xfinity X1 service

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Xfinity X1 service
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 22:19:02 -0400
I know it's a different cable co, but I have 100 Mbps with Charter and it actually delivers that and more..."sometimes"! Emphasis on the "sometimes" <:-))

As was mentioned earlier, the speed varies with load. I've seen 103 Mbps downloads in the wee hours. I've also had problems viewing streaming video from the Wx Channel in the evening and that is no where near the 103 Mbps. I have a subscription to a great weather service (Weather Tap), which was really nice for storm chasing with NEXRAD RADAR as near as possible to real time displays. (it takes several minutes to build the images from multiple returns so "real time" is not possible) but in the last year, the load had increased at various nodes to the point of that service becoming useless. Use tracert (service name or IP) to see all the hops the signal takes and the time at each hop from you to the service.

For example open the command prompt window and simply type in "tracert ARRL.com" (without the quotes) Leave a space after tracert. I get 16 hops with 3 timed out. It starts with "Tracing route to arrl.com [184.106.62.251] over a maximum of 30 hops". Most are less than 25 ms, but there were also 25, 24, and 27 ms hops. Do this at 7:00 PM and again before you go to bed unless that is around 9:00. Try to do this every 3 or 4 hours around the clock, mid week and week ends. You should see some major differences between between the time when kids get home from school, prime time, late hours and early morning. As was said before, there will be bottlenecks somewhere. It can be your service, IP, or some other node, or nodes.

When I first went to the 100Mbs it was great, but it also shares the same cable with all the other subscribers of many speeds and many are now opting for the 100 Mbs service with no download limit. I have never seen providers with Gbps offerings. Gbps = Giga bits per second, or 1000 Mbps (1 Gbps = 1000 Megabytes per second)

Please note the lower case b (Mbs) means bits while the upper case B (MBs) means bytes. These are often displayed as (Mbps) and (MBps). One byte = 8 bits.

73

Roger  (K8RI)