RFI

Re: [RFI] ARRL Board of Directors resolution related to FCCenforcement o

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] ARRL Board of Directors resolution related to FCCenforcement of radio-interference issues
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 19:47:34 +0000
Actually, that's not really intended to be an easy out.  If we want FCC
enforcement to have teeth, the old paradigm will not work. We can't expect to
identify a thousand RFI problems, turn them all over to the FCC and have the
FCC solve them. That paradigm never really existed anyway, despite popular
misbelief.

The only process that will work is for those with interference problems to try
to resolve them directly, allow ARRL to try to work with utilities and others,
turn cases over to the FCC for what i call "advisory letters" to the bad guys,
and then to have the FCC step in for those cases that are not resolved by the
efforts of the "pre-enforcement" activities.  If there were to be thousands of
cases requiring "real" FCC enforcement, there is no way that the FCC could take
that on.

So, the most urgent cases are, from an RFI perspective, a mere handful of cases
at this point for which super-human effort has been done to try to resolve it,
asking the FCC to use some teeth to serve as an incentive for the other cases
to be resolved directly. If we take a laundry list of every case to the FCC,
it's game over, so we are identifying a few that are good examples, with sound
history, calm complainants and a documented harmful interference problem and a
known source.

Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab