RFI

Re: [RFI] Chasing RFI

To: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Chasing RFI
From: "qrv@kd4e.com" <qrv@kd4e.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 12:15:48 -0400
Charlie,

        It's not always visible but failed lightning arrestors are a
frequent source of trouble.

        Have you tried looking at the pole using a telescopic camera
lens?

        If you can spot a deteriorating arrestor or something
sparking - then report that with a photo - you will be doing them
a favor.

        Things "always" seem to fail at 2am on a weekend = overtime
cost and hassle.

        The latter is per our local electrical Coop.

Just one thought ...

David KD4E

Hi Gang,
OK, some questions on chasing some RFI

A  few  weeks ago, my friend Pete (W2IRT) started getting really NASTY
RFI  -  broad  band (you can hear it from 160 up to around 10m) on his
home rig, and it is S9+

Yesterday,  I went over there with my Tecsun 660, and started looking.
First  the  good/bad  news,  powering off the house made NO difference
(did find a small secondary source of a particular peak, but..)

Anyway,  I  found  (based  on antenna) that I was best off starting on
40m, and started walking, and in one direction it seemed to get louder
(but  NOT necessarily move the S meter more) - got to one area where I
could  finally  hear  it  on 28Mhz (AM) - with the antenna UP, but not
extended, right near a pole with LOTS of disconnects and other 'stuff'
up  top,  but  when  I went back later, I could NOT pick up the signal
there  on  28,  but  could on 21Mhz.  I never got to the point I could
hear it on Air band

Now  Pete  has  had  to call PSE&G once before, they came out, waved a
small  handheld  around  for  about  5  mins  from  his  property, and
announced  "Not  our  gear"  and left.  As it takes months for them to
respond, we want to get to the point where we can get a lot closer

Any ideas how to proceed from here?
(BTW,  the signal shifts somewhat with wind gusts - can make an 2 unit
difference)

--

*David* KD4E
ARES-EC Bulloch County, Nevils, Georgia USA

Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com