RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI Broadcast Station Mixing in Crank-Up tower?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Broadcast Station Mixing in Crank-Up tower?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 20:00:54 -0700
On Mon,10/19/2015 7:00 PM, Rich Hallman - N7TR wrote:
Has anyone had any problems with intermittent mixing from a close broadcast
station with a Crank-Up tower?  I think I may have an issue with one of my
towers.   Cranked up I hear mixing all over 80 meters (Every 10 KC).....Cranked
down its gone.  I already eliminated the antennas.  Mixing gets very
intermittent in wind as the tower moves around.

I have no experience, so will leave most of this to others. The fundamental cause though is less than ideal electrical contact in a conductor.

Thoughts about grounding the top section to the bottom when fully extended?

Definitely. Should be a short fat conductor from the bottom of the top section the top of the lower section that it mates with.

Was thinking of grounding the coax at the top and bottom of the tower?

This is ALWAYS good practice, to prevent arc-overs between the tower and the coax, which will fry the coax at the point where the arc occurs.

73, Jim K9YC