RFI

[RFI] Major appliance change coming up.

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Major appliance change coming up.
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 17:08:39 -0500
The thread on Samsung got me thinking:

I have 2 Samsung 40" smart TVs hooked to our network via WiFi. One in the basement and one on the ground floor. The one upstairs is hard wired to the satellite receiver. WiFi to the one in the basement. Nary a problem BTW they are roughly 30 feet from the end of the 160 half sloper and about 80 feet from the 75 meter sloper. I run the legal limit on all permissible HF bands.

I have four 40" Samsung monitors. After about 2 years, I had to replace a 100 uf cap in the PS in 2 of them. The image would go blank/black at regular intervals, increasing in frequency. Within about 2 week, there was no longer an image. Easy to get at and easy to fix even with my one handed soldering.

We are approaching a major appliance update, all likely RFI generators. Furnace, central air, refrigerator, freezer, and possibly adding another "on demand" hot water heater along with a whole house generator. Ideally I'd like to go with natural gas, but I've talked with two companies and both advised against it. The reasoning is they have been installing a lot of these and the gas supply isn't large enough to supply that much load. The "on demand" hot water heaters are real energy savers if you have natural gas available. Pricey, but well worth it. If you have several children still at home, the payback "might" only be a year or two. None of the current units have variable speed motors, but it's likely that many, if not most replacements will have some sort of variable speed, so suggestions are welcome. No plans to upgrade the TVs. BTW although the two are almost identical, the newest one was a bit less than 10% of the first one. Both are LED/LCD displays.

There are few big box stores in town, or within 20 miles. There are several H&V outfits close by, so the really big ticket items are local with good reputations.. The only problems have been the burner fan failed a some years ago (5 or so), in a really cold winter. They could get here in 3 days. I pulled the fan (big centripetal sucker) I replaced the motor coupling with some heavy wall, 1/2" 3M heat-shrink. No problems since. At 20 some years, I wasn't worried about warranties.

73

Roger  (K8RI)

---