RFI

Re: [RFI] Finding house noise sources

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Finding house noise sources
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 18:18:10 +0000
In theory, there should not be any hidden junction boxes behind drywall, but as
I have seen on Holmes on Homes, that's not always the case. :-)

I think I'd be inclinded to use the noise itself as my cable tracer. I'd use a
VFH AM receiver with some sort of S meter and a very small loop probe at the
end of a piece of coax. Many HTs receive AM in the aeronautical bands.  You may
also need an attenuator to reduce the noise to a level that just moves the S
meter. You can then trace the wiring behind the walls because the noise would
be stronger near the wiring.

The S meter may also tell you the location of the noise source. Although it
would be noisy along the entire wire, it would generally be an S unit or two
higher near the source.

Ed