RFI

Re: [RFI] HF Handy Talkie for RFI Detection?

To: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] HF Handy Talkie for RFI Detection?
From: Tom Thompson <w0ivj@tomthompson.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 21:48:36 -0700
Tony,

I have been using an SDRPlay ($150 from HRO) and a small laptop or tablet running HDSDR (free). If you build or buy a high impedance preamp, you can use a 3 ft. whip with a magmount and you have a wide band set up that will show you the spectrum of the RFI from your car. When you get closer you can DF it with a loop. I have found that being able to look at the whole spectrum is really helpful in tracking down the RFI because you can really keep track of the RFI signature. The SDRPlay allows you to look at about 5 MHz of spectrum from 100 kHz to about 2 GHz.

Tom   W0IVJ