RFI

[RFI] Broadband RFI...

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Broadband RFI...
From: Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 06:10:04 -0700
Hi,

At some point in the last few weeks, someone mentioned something along
the lines of a broadband RFI generator type of switching supply, of a
type that sprays a huge swath of spectrum with what appears to be
broadband noise...

Could someone expand on this please.  I ask because I have a new and
different RFI issue which started a few days ago, and want to understand
the generator a bit better...  Does this device have a name?

My new RFI looks to be one of these types of devices.  I am still in the
data collection stages, so I don't know for sure if it is on a timer,
but I suspect it is.  I have two days of data, and it looks like it
comes on and goes off at set times...  But this is too early to tell.  I
will run data collection while I am at Sea-Pac, which should give me
three days of additional data.

It is VERY wide, at least 200 KHz, and flat, I mean really flat, like it
was designed to be flat...  See:
http://nk7z.net/current-rfi/
The images at the above URL show three different views of the RFI, FFT
of audio passband vs. time, (about 8 hours), the P3 panadaptor view,
showing 200 KHz of spectrum, and some S-Meter vs time graphs.  Each view
has a description below it.  I would be interested in any thoughts the
group has on these.  All readings taken in AM mode.

DFing will be interesting, look for lowest background noise I guess.  No
real signal to latch onto.  This will be the first time hunting a
broadband signal.  Any hints would be appreciated.

Lucky for me it is only two S-units of RFI, (today).  I have not looked
at 30, or 80 yet...

I got about 6 months of RFI free time from the last hunt...  It is like
playing Whack-A-Mole here in Oregon.

Thanks in advance to all who comment...

--
73's, and thanks,