RFI

Re: [RFI] How very interesting...

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] How very interesting...
From: "Frank N. Haas KB4T" <utility.rfi.pro@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 11:18:58 -0400
I have had an SDRPlay for a bit over a year. I use both HDSDR and SDR#
software. I wanted to know if an SDR would be a good tool for hunting down
arcing interference sources. I was hoping that the spectrum display and
waterfall displays would make it easier for me to see/measure the
intensity/signal strength of the source for which I was searching.

Regrettably, the SDR system has proven nearly useless for my intended
purpose. Sometimes I can hear the arcing source but it never shows up on
the spectrum displays. I have yet to figure out how to make either of the
software packages used with the SDRPlay display arcing interference.
Carriers show up well but everything else does not. I was hoping that the
SDRPlay system would provide me with a display similar to that shown by an
Icom 756 Pro series spectrum display when arcing interference is present.
The Icom display shows a neat series of peaks all across the display as the
120 Hz peaks disrupt reception. No such luck with the SDRPlay system.

Worse, the SDRPlay is easily overloaded by stuff that isn't really a
problem. I recently investigated an interference situation where the 314
MHz +/- range was being disrupted by something which caused Key Fobs not to
work even when close to the vehicle they work with. The interference source
went away before I could pinpoint the source. I scanned the band with the
SDRPlay and all I saw were huge signals which turned out to be the 3rd
harmonics of 2 or 3 nearby (2 miles away) FM Broadcast transmitters. I
wasted a couple of hours chasing those ghosts that didn't really have
anything to do with the problem I was chasing.

Of course, asking a $150 receiver to perform as well as a $1500 receiver is
asking a great deal. The SDRPlay is still connected in the work van. I use
an elaborate antenna switching scheme to switch my HF screwdriver, VHF and
UHF antennas between the SDRPlay and the ICOM IC-7000. But I always cross
check the SDRPlay results against the Icom and other receivers I have so I
don't waste time or get fooled.

I do enjoy listening to HF international broadcast and actual ham radio HF
operations with the SDRPlay. The SDRPlay does listen well at VHF and UHF
but mine doesn't spent much time up there. Even at those frequencies,
arcing interference is imperceptible.

It's possible that I don't have the software configured correctly. HDSDR
can be maddening to use and there is little support or instructional info.
SDR# (pronounced SDR Sharp) works well but has its own quirks and no real
instructional info or support are available for it either. Of course, these
are FREE software packages so one can't really complain about the lack of
instruction manuals and support. If anyone using these software packages
has a configuration that accurately displays arcing interference, I would
very much appreciate a screen shot or some details.

For now, SDRPlay is a fun toy but offers little advantage to me as a
utility interference investigator.

73,

Frank N. Haas KB4T
Utility Interference Investigator
Florida

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2016-08-25 at 07:26 -0700, Robert Nobis wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > I have been considering getting an SDRPlay or equivalent for some time
> > now.  This plot convinced me it would be a good tool for hunting QRM &
> > QRN.
>
> Glad it was of some help for you.  I used HDSDR, and set it to slow
> updates.  I did a careful setup, and a few tests to insure I was showing
> the most data possible.  I tend to use B/W as it shows more detail.
>
> I think it gives more useful data with a reduced bandwidth from where it
> is now... It is showing too much spectrum I think...
>
> I will be adding graphs to that URL as time goes on...  I still have the
> same graph going, and will finish it at around 2:30 Local time, giving a
> 24 hour overview of 40 meters.  I will then stash it away for the
> future, when I want to do a RFI compare.  I will more than likely follow
> it with data runs on 80, 30, 20, etc., for archive purposes.
> --
> 73's, and thanks,
> Dave (NK7Z)
> For software/hardware reviews see: