RFI

Re: [RFI] Solar Panel Inquiries

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar Panel Inquiries
From: Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 08:16:57 -0800
Hello Tom,

If it were me, and I were you, I would immediately begin taking RFI background readings on all bands, starting today...

See:

http://nk7z.net/sdr-rfi-survey-p1/

for a brief treaties on how to do this. I have a full set of spectrograms there for all bands, for my site...

There are simpler ways, but I know of no other way, short of a spectrum analyzer to get this much information as cheaply and in a readable form as with an SDR radio as described.

I also, provide a copy of the spectrograms to any installers, or potential light operators, PRIOR to the install of RFI generating devices if possible. I also give them the "RFI Mitigation" URL I mention later.

I would then let them know that any new RFI will need to be mitigated in order to meet FCC R&R, and avoid FCC involvement. I would also print out a copy of Part 15, and 18, and include that with the spectrograms... I would also include a copy of an enforcement letter just for good measure. I would then document that I had given them all of this, in my RFI log, by date/time.

I suspect my actions as outlined above, would get them calling the maker of the panels to see about RFI issues, which is the intent.

See:

https://transition.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/files/Grow_11_09_30_5275.pdf

for the enforcement letter I have used in the past for grow operations near me. In this case, I would probably look around on the FCC site for a Solar enforcement letter and use that instead.

I am of course always nice, always polite, and I try and never make anything sound like a threat... I keep a log of everything said, and done, by everyone, including myself. I never forget that I might be building a log that might show up in court as I write it.

I don't have to say I will call the FCC if I provide all of this to a potential RFI generator, it is implied. That sometimes avoids a confrontation-- sometimes.

I have a pile of RFI mitigation stuff on my site, just go to

http://www.nk7z.net

and on the right select "RFI Mitigation", from the navigation pane.

If you don't post what is happening to the mail list here, I would appreciate hearing how this turns out via email. If you do post it to the list, I will see it here...

If the installers are helpful, I would send them to Mike Gruber of the ARRL ASAP. I found his number on the ARRL web site, and the ARRL lab can be very helpful in this sort of thing... Mike is a really good guy, and smart, so the ARRL can be of great help here...

Good Luck!

73s and thanks,
Dave
NK7Z