RFI

Re: [RFI] Re-wiring station

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Re-wiring station
From: Christopher Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 02:21:08 -0900
There were a number of specs, but for practical purposes
guidelines/examples.

The actual CAT5 specs were almost entirely performance driven.

Std practice to meet the CAT5 performance spec or 155+ACR extended
version included...

Per pair twist rate
Insulation type and thickness
pair to pair / pair to outside world orientation over length
jacket thickness

Getting into later 5+, pre6 and 6 specs along with multi-cable bundles
things get even more complex.

Things life different insulation materials and thickness per pair within
a cable and similar were fairly common for a while.

But, as I said, specs were almost entirely performance driven, the exact
details of HOW the specs were met was up to the cable maker.

This is a fuzzy memory from 20+ years ago, but IIRC in the early Cat5
days some makers used per pair twist rate to meet crosstalk specs and
some used controlled weave/positioning of pairs initially...But, per
pair twist rates were cheaper and worked better, specially for the
extended spec and quickly became the norm.