RFI

Re: [RFI] New Larger Fair-Rite #31 Toroid

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] New Larger Fair-Rite #31 Toroid
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 06:07:47 -0400
I would think there will be enough room for a common mode choke To be part of the feedline of RG-8 size coax. even LMR600 for 75 and possibly 160.

I'm going to order enough to do the 75 m slopers and possibly the 160 half slopers.

The larger cores give us possibilities for increasing the power capability of antennas like the AV640 and OCF antennas. Common mode chokes as well as step up baluns.

I really think we should buck the trend of calling everything hooking the feedline to the antenna as a "BALUN" which has a very specific meaning. Balun is short for Balanced to unbalanced, so the common mode choke is not a 1:1 BALUN.

It's likely a losing battle, but With each profaning of terms we are dumbing down Ham Radio. Now the League wants an entry level license! Entry Level. Compared to the Novice exam I took, all the current license tests are entry level. The # of hams who can design simple circuits is getting to be fewer and fewer. Low power SSB kits are lauded, but what happened to the basic CW transmitter from a hand full of parts. Why do they think we need an entry level license compared to what we have now?

It takes very little time to learn how to design a simple bipolar SS circuit. I used to teach Semiconductor circuit design using the Heathkit course books. That was 30 years ago and I'd need to review to do it again, but it took less than a week at one hour a day to cover the basics.

Computer design was done using machine language (Hexadecimal). for the basic digital courses. Assembler was a higher level language. Now days, new rigs often need to be debugged as the operation is so sophisticated.side effects don't show up until they are being used. Rigs give the user so much control that they can really screw up the signal.

Sorry: End of rant!

73,  Roger (K8RI)