RFI

Re: [RFI] Deep concern over Radio Spectrum | Southgate Amateur Radio New

To: rfi@contesting.com, Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Deep concern over Radio Spectrum | Southgate Amateur Radio News
From: w2ttt@att.net
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 04:04:07 +0000 (UTC)
Tony et al,

Thank you for forwarding this important and concise statement on the state and
implications of RFI.  The KEY element will be to explain to industry,
government and citizens organizations the importance of "keeping it clean" to
the proper operation of their products and services.  In short, you need to
explain how poor environments cost them money.

I work for a global company, and am also a member of the ARRL EMC
(ElectroMagnetic Compatibility) Committee.  Amateur Radio operators are like
"canaries in the coal mines" when it comes to spotting emerging EMC/RFI issues,
but there is lots of hard work done quietly in the background to identify the
elements of a root cause and mitigation strategies.  All of this needs to be
done with the needs of the business being the paramount motivation for action.
It is challenging because this area is often  not clearly understood or
documented in the context of the needs of the business, so quiet persistence in
technical and business case analysis and effective  internal advocacy are keys
to success.  I can tell you that being a resource and mentor to those in the
trenches is as important as it is being an advocate.  Solve peoples' problems,
then extrapolate the impacts to other cases or parts or the business and you
will become the "go to person" when folks are in a jam.

It has been over a decade since I went from engaging patient intellectually
curious listeners, to "eye rollers", to active denial and resistance, until
finally we have partners from across the business interested in how we can
improve the customer experience, and reduce cost to the business.  This is
hard, but there is lots of opportunity to succeed, if you have the wits and the
will to work with people in terms they understand - and in most cases my
friends, that will be "business".

Welcome to the effort!

73,

Gordon Beattie, W2TTT