RFI

Re: [RFI] Snap-on RFI suppression core size vs cable size

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Snap-on RFI suppression core size vs cable size
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 10:47:34 -0400
On 08/20/2017 10:34 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
One turn will work fine. Although I haven't done any measurements to
confirm it, I wouldn't worry about the loose fit.  Check out this data
sheet  and note the plot of Z for 1-3 turns at the bottom of the page.
For a 6M choke, I'd use two turns on a core, placing multiple 2-turn
chokes in series along the cable.  That's NOT two turns through multiple
cores in series, but two turns through core #1, then a short length (an
inch or less) of coax and another two-turn choke, and another.

In solving receive noise problems on 6M I have done just that after looking at the Fair-Rite data sheets: two turns per core with multiple chokes in series as needed. It worked well.

It has been many years since I made a serious effort to deal with receive noise on 2M and back then it was a haphazard approach using whatever I had on hand. I have little or nothing on hand this time so I am trying to make sensible purchasing decisions.

73,
Paul N1BUG