RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise Cancellers - RFI Survival Guide

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise Cancellers - RFI Survival Guide
From: Christopher Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 14:07:26 -0900
Exactly, on all counts.

I have one of the MFJ models.  I found it useful years back when I had a
single _strong_ source swamping things (it turned out to be a very nasty
computer PS at a nearby house).

In order to get it to work I have to place a pre-amplified small loop at
the edge of the yard closest to the source (maximize noise pickup and
minimize all else) and very carefully adjust the canceler.

Connecting to something other than a noise pickup specific antenna (like
my second HF antenna) would allow me to cancel one thing, at the expense
of bringing up other noise.

Total pain to use, but allowed be to operate untill the source could be
eliminated.

It has been sitting on the shelf for a number of years now,
why...Because while I do have more than a little noise, currently it is
the summ of _many_ weak sources...If the noise is raised floor from lots
of different sources a canceler is useless.

If there is a single strong noise source that you cannot eliminate,
_and_ you can manage a "noise pickup" antenna that receives that signal
strongly but not so much the desired signals, could be useful.