RFI

Re: [RFI] Visualizing Line Noise

To: "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Visualizing Line Noise
From: JW via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 12:10:07 +0000 (UTC)
Here is _clear_ identification of a line noise source indicated by its
synchronization with the AC line as seen on an oscilloscope triggered by the
local AC line.

A single cycle of 60 Hz line is also shown to allow inspection as to the fixed
phase relationship between the arcing noise and the AC main reference waveform.
Also bear in mind we don't know which of the 3 phases in the distribution
network is the source of the arcing noise source.

This technique provides positive indication of an AC-line time-related as
opposed to say, video-related pulse train.

Years ago I noted a buzz in the 20 meter band that was _not_ AC line related,
perhaps a neighbors video system was leaking or something ...

I don't see how a "waterfall" display would provide this type of signal
discrimination using only the frequency domain.

A PC-based application known as Spectrum Lab could probably be used in lieu of
an actual oscilloscope to view synchronization of a 'buzz' noise source with
respect to the local AC line voltage.

de Jim WB5WPA