RFI

Re: [RFI] Dishwasher

To: MICHAEL ST ANGELO <mstangelo@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Dishwasher
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 19:24:18 +0000
We bought the 'industrial' Maytag brand washer and dryer.  They both
produce a lot of RFI on HF.  However, wash only once or twice a week, but
it does interfer with my HF radio astronomy ventures quite badly, but easy
to detect as its on or off - step function in the RFI.

Where is the FCC????  Those hams who receive QST should read the second
column of the front editorial in the latest QST!  It is likely a harbinger
of things to come and  in my spin, a written proposal for FCC to continue
'officially' ignoring Part 15, Subpart B (Unintentional Radiators).  It
proposes, by the FCC, that receivers are now to bare the worst of
interference - the blame is placed on the receiver, not the Subpart B
device!  Sounds like Light Squared heavily influenced the proposed
conclusion of the TAC.  If this goes through, I can see a very limited
lifetime for ham radio and one of my other hobbies, radio astronomy.

Do what we have to do to knock this our of the galaxy of the FCC.  They're
nuts ! ! ! ! ! !

Dave - WØLEV

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 6:02 PM, MICHAEL ST ANGELO <mstangelo@comcast.net>
wrote:

> We got a new Maytag washer and dryer when the old plain Roper went.
>

> While my wife doesn't like computers she does like some of the features on
> these units. The washer senses the amount of laundry and adjusts the water
> level and the dryer senses when the clothes are dry and stops automatically.
>

> Intelligent machines are just the beginning of the IoT  - Internet of
> Things. You will be able to adjust your machines and get messages about the
> status the cycles wit your smartphone. You will be able to enter the types
> of clothes you are washing and the washer will adjust the temperature and
> washing cycles accordingly.
>

> For the record the gas dryer does not generate RFI but the washer is a
> noise generator. I can tell my wife the washer cycle by listening to the
> noise. Fortunately she does the wash when I don't operate.
>

> Mike N2MS
>

> > On January 26, 2018 at 6:21 PM dalej wrote:
> >

> >     Why is the need to have microprossesors in a ….dishwasher ??? Or
> clothing washer, dryer etc. Displays, etc, why do we need a display for
> washing dishes or clothing??
> >
> >     It just seems silly.
> >
> >     Dale, K9VUJ
> >

> >     On 26, Jan 2018, at 17:08, Dennis wrote:
> >
> >     Today’s dishwashers are not built to last and have too many
> electronic features. We bought a Speed Queen. It is built to industrial
> standards and has analog controls. No RFI. Indestructible. Do a search and
> read the feedback. You will pay more and get only the necessary features.
> The XYL and I are happy owners.
> >
> >     Dennis AE6C
> >
> >     Sent from my iPhone

*Dave - WØLEV*