RFI

Re: [RFI] Politics and RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Politics and RFI
From: "Richard F. DiDonna NN3W" <richnn3w@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 21:13:58 -0400
Some Chinese products are truly crap and other product are quite good in quality.  All depends on the  vendor and the product in question.  Some Chinese vendors will have multiple quality levels - good, better, best.

In general, I found that companies that have strict foreign partnerships typically function at a higher level owing to contractual requirements governing quality, reject rates, and component sourcing.  On the other hand, a lot of purely domestic-owned companies (many of which are state owned) don't give a damn and would rather sell goods at the lowest possible price - often at a loss - in order to keep their mills running at high capacity utilization rates.

Depending on the industry, acceptance of Chinese product can range from zero to 100% acceptance - often a function of the willingness of the U.S. customer to take the product.

In one industry I do work in, there is -significant- reluctance to take Chinese product owing to perceived quality concerns and a past track record where Chinese product has been known to have failed or has not been certified to meet specifications.  In one example, a Chinese metals company was caught falsifying the mill test reports of its metals - which could have led to catastrophic failures had the product in question been installed.  In fact, the U.S.-based standards organization for this product sector issued a warning notice to all of its industry members stating that there were instances where certification reports were known to have been falsified and that significant risk was being carried in buying Chinese product.

73 Rich NN3W