RFI

Re: [RFI] Low Voltage Lighting Questions

To: Jim Stahl <jimk8mr@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Low Voltage Lighting Questions
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 19:16:02 +0000
We had a couple of task lights installed.  They are 12 volt high-intensity
incandescent  lights.  Each fixture came with its own 'electronic
transformer' - a.k.a. switcher.  The 120 vac was switched, not the 12 vac.
Long story, but I had to pay $48 EACH for an "FCC approved" transformer.
The regular 'electronic transformers' cost $4.95 and produced lots of RFI.
The expensive "FCC approved" units were surprisingly quiet.  But, at what a
price!

Any screw-in LED lighting I have seen has the switcher installed in the
screw-in or plug-in base and is standard.

Dave - WØLEV

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 5:54 PM, Jim Stahl via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
wrote:

> I’ve determined that I have one or more LED kitchen track/ceiling light
> installations in nearby condos that are causing RFI. Killing the breaker
> kills the RFI.
>
> Since these are in condo units occupied by renters, I need to go through
> the owners (fortunately who live locally) to do anything about remedying
> the RFI. So I want to know what to expect when I am able to get access for
> more than killing breakers.
>
> Are the low voltage supplies (which I assume are the problem) powered
> 24/7, with the light switch/dimmers being on the low voltage side of the
> supply?
>
> Are the dimmers pulse width modulated, or amplitude modulated? Are the
> dimmers in these LED systems likely to be a problem themselves?
>
> Are these supplies normally equipped with a standard electrical plug into
> a normal outlet? Is there normally accessible low voltage wire between the
> supply and the start of the lighting chain? I.e. are there likely to be
> issues with installing ferrites on either side of the supply?
>
> Is 12 volts DC a common or standard low voltage level? What is the
> approximate DC current per bulb, i.e. if I were to replace the RFI
> generating switching supply with a linear supply, how big of a supply would
> normally be needed?
>

> Thanks & 73  -  Jim   K8MR/4

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*