RFI

[RFI] Loop antenna testing...

To: "RFI Mail list at contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Loop antenna testing...
From: "Dave Cole (NK7Z)" <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 19:19:31 -0700
For those interested; the loop has been located outside to the #2 test position in the antenna test field, from my kitchen. That puts it about 75 feet away from anything that can generate RFI, with the pattern favoring East/West. The loop is sitting on top of a 25 foot circular radial field as well.

Interestingly enough, the same loop, same receiver, etc., is picking up WAY more than when in the house. I am sure this is due to no longer being surrounded by little RFI generating devices... It looks like maybe a 15 to 20 reduction in RFI by moving it outside...

I ran the same WSPR test, same orientation yesterday, with the loop inside. A local station was -17, and is now +7... The loop is actually about 7 feet lower than when in the Kitchen... I knew that all the little devices spewed RFI, I just had no idea how much...

To see the results live on line go to:

http://wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/map

Scroll down to the setup portion and add the following:

Band:  40 Meters

Call:  NK7Z

Lat: 44

Lon:  -123 (note the minus sign)

Time Period: I started at 5 PM West coast time, so figure out the time period you want to see.

If you start with 12 hours you will see a bit of experimentation that happened this morning...

The software is updating every two minutes to the map generating WSPR server, so what you see will be no older than two minutes from real time.

--
73s and thanks,
Dave