RFI

[RFI] Window Air Conditioner Advice Wanted

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Window Air Conditioner Advice Wanted
From: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 02:57:04 +0000
The window a/c in my shack finally gave up the ghost after 40 years of reliable
service. I need a replacement right away, since especially with the station
equipment running it gets too hot in summer to even be inside the shack without
a/c.  Looking preferably for something with simple thermostat control and no
hi-tech, RFI spewing technology such as switching power supplies,  pulse-width
controlled variable speed motors and digital stuff that will likely fail after
a couple of years.

Around 20k - 25k BTU; the old one is 23k.  Checked local stores and about the
only brands they have are LG, General Electric and Frigidaire, and not a lot of
selection in the 25k BTU range.

>From on-line searches and product reviews, I have surmised that L-G units are
>very quiet and efficient but filled with the very kind of electronics that
>generates RFI.  G-E gets poor customer reviews with complaints of bad customer
>support and poor replacement parts availability.  Frigidaire gets the best
>customer reviews, but of course none of the on-line information on any of them
>makes even a fleeting mention of RFI.

It will be mounted in a hole in the wall about 8' high from the floor, so
installation of a 130-150 lb unit will be a challenge, and the thing has to be
reliable due to the near impossibility of pulling it out for servicing.

Any advice based on someone's recent experience?

Don k4kyv