RFI

Re: [RFI] Solar Edge Info

To: "'Joe'" <nss@mwt.net>, "'Rfi List'" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar Edge Info
From: "Randy Standke" <r55stan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 16:56:34 -0700
Hi Joe,
Have your son read the April 2016 QST article written by Tony Brock Fisher
K1KP http://rsgb.org/main/files/2014/02/QST20Solar20April2020165b25d.pdf
This covers the modifications that need to be made to a SolarEdge system if
there is a ham operator within approximately 500 feet that is active on the
20 and 15 meter bands during the day time.  Given the low percentage of the
population that are ham operators, and the small subset of those that are
active on the HF bands, it probably does not come up very often.  For those
of us that are active on 20 and 15 meters, it may come up a lot depending on
how popular solar power is in your area.  I have had SolarEdge come out and
rewire six houses in my neighborhood.  I talked to several of the installers
and like your son, they had never heard of this problem before.

A potential risk to a solar installer is an unhappy customer if a ham
operator moves in and discovers radio interference.  This ham could file FCC
complaints against the owners of RFI producing equipment.  These owners are
liable for the expense of the rewire.  They might be unhappy to find out
that other solar power systems are not causing this problem.  FCC Part 15
rules protect licensed radio services (e.g. amateur radio) without regard to
when the source of RFI was installed.  For each of my cases SolarEdge
arranged for the rewiring / filtering work.

Randy KQ6RS