RFI

[RFI] Solar Edge RFI in Kings Park New York - September 2018 Update

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Solar Edge RFI in Kings Park New York - September 2018 Update
From: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2018 18:05:44 -0400
All:

Solar Edge sent one of their engineers to inspect my neighbors solar panel installation that's been causing RFI since August of 2016. They tweaked the RFI suppression that was installed in July of this year which did nothing to reduce the noise any further.

They also shut down the Optimizers via remote recently to see what effect that might have. There was little change because the switching power supplies that power each Optimizer remain active when the solar panels are in sunlight. The power supplies would need to be disconnected to shut them off.

The first attempt to solve the problem took place in Feburary of 2017 when they swapped out the optimizers. The attempt that took place this July was to add ferrite to each cable coming off each optimizer.

The ferrite did have some effect, but the cables were not looped through the core: they only made one pass through it - see attached image.

Solar Edge has obviously been slow to act given the fact that the noise began the day of the installation in August of 2016, It's only in the last few months have they been actively seeking to solve the problem.

They plan on taking more action soon so I will keep the group posted.

Tony -K2MO