RFI

Re: [RFI] Array Solutions Filtermax III not making any difference on rad

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Array Solutions Filtermax III not making any difference on radio 2. What to check?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2018 18:42:49 -0700
On 10/27/2018 4:31 PM, Andy KU7T wrote:
We go the mentioned filter at our contest station. We got S6+ Interference from
the run to the multi station. If we switch the bandpass on the run from the
band to bypass, the noise level does not change at all. The relays in the box
switch and the band pass is working ( meaning switching to the wrong band
quiets the receiver).

From what band to what band?  Are you using a power amp on either station? How much antenna separation?  Does one face the other? Do you have serious common mode chokes at the feedpoint of every antenna?

Is it possible the filter is working but not make any difference? Does that
mean we just get RF from somewhere else and need to find it?  Any tips how?

Lots of things can cause interstation interference that bandpass filters won't fix. Bandpass filters between rig and amp do nothing for harmonics created by the amp. And bandpass filters do nothing if the other station is on the same band.  Also, passive intermod (mixing in some non-linear "thing") creates harmonics that nothing can filter -- you've got to find and kill the "thing."

73, Jim K9YC