RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI from LED Snap-In Modules

To: JimW6YA@cox.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI from LED Snap-In Modules
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 16:26:53 +0000
I've run into a disgusting fact over my years as an EMC/RFI engineer: the
lighting industry, in general, is unaware of FCC rules addressing radiated
and conducted emissions from lighting.   If we attempt to 'educate' them,
they'll just form a strong lobby as did the appliance people.  Again and
again and again and....... where is the FCC?

Dave - WØLEV

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 3:26 AM Jim McCook <JimW6YA@cox.net> wrote:

> New construction in California does not allow screw-in sockets for
> ceiling lighting, so the usual case is to place cans that receive
> snap-in LED units with self contained switching power supplies.  I have
> had severe problems from these units from a new Shea Homes development
> over 1000 feet away.  Now my next door neighbor has rebuilt from the
> ground up and has already placed ceiling cans for the snap-in units,
> despite my request for a discussion on lighting months ago.  We have now
> discussed the RFI issue and the fact that RFI, should it occur, will
> have to be eliminated.
>
> I am not aware of any snap-in LED modules that have built in analog
> (magnetic transformer) supplies, which would be ideal.  Is anyone out
> there aware of a specific manufacturer who provides these units with
> proper filtering and shielding that effectively eliminates RFI?  There
> must be some good ones out there somewhere.  If not, the owner is faced
> with replacing all the cans with screw in sockets for LED floodlights
> AFTER final inspection. He is aware of FCC rules Part 15 and 18 that
> prevent interference to hams.
>
> Please let me know if you are aware of specific manufacturers who supply
> the proper snap-in units for ceiling lighting.   73, Jim W6YA

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*
*Just Think*