RFI

Re: [RFI] USB rfi ; rig control--->solved....I think.

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] USB rfi ; rig control--->solved....I think.
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 23:25:04 -0400
David,

I bonded the shield of the USB cables' male end that plugs into my laptop,
to my station ground. (the other end attaches to one of my radios...used for
radio control)

I couldn't find any other suitable connection on the laptop to ground to.
Even if I had, on the off chance the USB "connector"

was not at the same potential as the chassis in the laptop, I honed in on
that particular area to attempt the ground.

So far, so good.

Things sure were a lot easier when computer towers were metal and weighed
25lbs and put together with big bolts and sheet metal screws!

-Mike VE9AA

Did you wrap multiple turns of the #22 around the insulated cable, or wrap
it around the bared-shield, or otherwise attach it somehow?

Then you drained the energy it tapped to ground?

Just trying to follow the methodology ...

Thanks, DavidC KD4E

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB