RFI

Re: [RFI] LED bulb replacements for use in existing florescent fixtures

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED bulb replacements for use in existing florescent fixtures
From: "John K9UWA" <john@johnjeanantiqueradio.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 15:10:41 -0500
Your Wasting your time and money to install " Direct Replacement " 4 foot
bulbs.
That still leaves the ballasts in place. Then you will be replacing the
ballasts next
plus every one of them I ever tested created RFI. Yes the ballasts make noise.

I see many comments that these bulbs are quiet with no qualification as to how
you determined that the bulbs were quiet. Maybe that means you don't notice the
noise in your receiver and your antenna is 100 feet up or away from your bulbs
and fixtures. Maybe you have some much other noise entering your radio you
don't notice the noise from the ballasts and old style flourescent bulbs.

Try this take some battery operated transistor radio best if you have one that
covers short wave as well as broadcast band. Tune it up to NO STATION and
then get close to your fixtures.

After installing something close to 200 DIRECT WIRE BALLAST BYPASS bulbs I
am quite happy with them. The key is the wording of either Direct Wire or
Ballast
Bypass seem to be the two different terms used. These bulbs carry a 50,000 hour
warranty. They don't make noise. Usually if you get within about 1 foot of the
bulb
then you can hear it. It doesn't take 10 minutes to remove the old bulbs remove
the ballast and rewire the fixture to accept the Direct Wire Bulbs.

If sure beats replacing bulbs on a once a month basis there are always a couple
of them burned out. And for sure as a Ham with a station it is nice to know
your
ability to hear other hams has been enhanced a bit.

John k9uwa

> On 11/15/2018 12:18 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
> > Any experience with LED direct-replacements that are supposed to work
> > with existing ballast/fixtures?
> >
> > I have a number of F28/T5-4' long fixtures that seem to eat the bulbs
> > about as fast as I can get around to replacing them.  Would like to
> > put an end to those with some LED replacements if the RFI picture is
> > manageable.
> >
> > 73/jeff/ac0c
> > alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
> > www.ac0c.com