RFI

Re: [RFI] Politics and RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Politics and RFI
From: Cortland Richmond <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 09:48:49 -0500
When I got to VN in 1965 our Avionics detachments at Tan Son Nhut AB were issued made in Japan toolboxes with screwdrivers that rusted, pliers that wouldn't close all the way and wire cutters that didn't meet. That's changed a LOT since.

These days, though, at leas tin THIS country, regulatory compliance has to yield to cost-cutting, fines and lawsuits being apparently cheaper than quality. Some years ago, maybe 1992, a Radio Shack low-cost store, Mc[Something], near where I lived, in Burleson -- I was working in the EMC lab at Tandy -- had a pyramid of color TV's nor,lly sellign for $300 in front of their store for $75; when I asked what was goignon they said abotu one of every three sold was returned not working out of the box ---and a ca[l to the (you got it, mainland Chinese) manufacturer got as an answer: "No problem, throw the bad ones away and give them one that works."

Cortland

KA5S