RFI

[RFI] Christmas light display - SOLVED

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Christmas light display - SOLVED
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 00:12:37 -0600
The power company guys were good to their word and contacted me a couple of days after Christmas.  They came over and I hooked up their receiver/SA (radar engineers 242) to my antenna and they got a look at the signature but it was not clear.  They drove around the neighborhood looking for a source and could not confirm my report.  The plan was to come back and look again the next week with a bit more equipment.  They did mention that there was some noise off to the NW and could I be confusing the SE with some response off the back side of my 4-square.

On new years day, I got my 660 and decided I would double check my SE noise by driving the entire neighboorhood to check any additional noise source.  4 hours later I had reconfirmed the SE noise source on the same pole as before, singing loud as ever. And found a 2nd noise source off to the NW just as the guys had mentioned - this one being about 2 miles from my QTH.  The NW noise source was easier to find once I expanded my search area as 2 miles distant 'seemed' to be pretty far but I got to thinking about it and that's only twice the distance of the SE source.  2x the distance means 1/4 the noise level (all other things being equal) which is about 6 dB.  And the noise I was seeing pushed the NW noise floor up by at least 25 dB - so what's 6 dB more if you got closer?

The power company guy came back and this time I went with the fellow.  I showed him how I found the noise, and how I localized it to the pole by going up in frequency.  This time he had a hand-held LPDA to use with the 242 and we did the same test using his gear.  Worked great and by moving around in the street and the yards, he was able to triangulate on the SE pole clearly at about 250 Mhz.

What had been a problem is that the guy had never seen a MOV which did not provide noise when he used his ultrasonic dish mic. My local buddy K3PA told me he's had 4 MOV fixed out by his place and all 4 of those noise makers were MOV - and none of them had an ultrasonic footprint.  But in all 4 cases, once the MOV was disconnected the wide band RF racket disappeared.  Fortunately this time the guy was able to accept my argument that regardless of his past history, the noise was definitely from that pole and pulling a leg off the MOV to test it was easy enough for a crew to do.  At this point I felt real progress was being made.

Next we went over to the NW noise source.  I had identified a pole that had insulators and MOV but nothing else.  There was one adjacent pole with a lot more hardware including a bunch of caps and the guy really wanted to believe that was the source.  Went through the same exercise and it took longer because the poles were more distantly spaced.  Fortunately there was nothing else in the area and we could walk well out into an a bordering farm field to listen to the two poles.  Eventually the guy agreed the pole previously identified as the NW noise source was certainly making more noise than either of the neighboring poles including the one with the caps hanging on it.  He told me a crew would be out to look at these two poles some time the next week.

I was pretty surprised to get a call at 815am on Monday with the fellow saying a crew was at the SE pole now.  And that I should go down to the shack and wait his call.  That I did, and sat in the recliner in the shack eventually falling back to sleep.  The guy called about 830 and asked if it was better - no joy.  They had tightened up and checked out the hardware but had not disconnected the MOVs!  They were really not wanting to buy the failed MOV theory...  The next step was to pull the MOV.  The guy called back and when I looked, the SE noise was completely gone.  They had just pulled the MOVs on that line!  SUCCESS #1.

I praised the work of the fine power company crew and thanked them profusely.  And encouraged them to extend the winning streak to the NW pole.  They headed over and I sat back in the chair with the 4sq pointing NW and the rig turned up.

About 10am the noise went silent.  I called the guy and he told me they checked out the pole with the caps on it first, and then went over and pulled the MOVs on the NW pole.  I guess the lesson of the MOVs as culprit was not quite learned - but after the 2nd pole I think the fellow was a believer.

Much greatness was expressed.  And I've enjoyed the quiet conditions since!  Many thanks to the local that helped me out on the identification and to the power company who had no problem fixing the problems once they were convinced the proper pole was identified.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com