RFI

Re: [RFI] a small win in the RFI project: LED traffic signal

To: bill K7WXW <K7WXW@qrpdx.org>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] a small win in the RFI project: LED traffic signal
From: Gary Smith <wa6fgi@steeltrails.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 14:41:44 -0800
Outstanding job with great resuts.

Gary...wa6fgi

On 1/17/2019 1:58 PM, bill K7WXW wrote:
My RFI battle continues unabated. While I've quieted most of the sources in the house (I still have to figure out how to tame the HVAC system), external noises sources continue to accumulate.  There are days, when the powerline buzz sets my baseline noise level at -80dBm, that I fantasize about buying ten acres in eastern Oregon, putting up a tower and running a remote station full time...

That said, I have a small victory to share.  I had a noise source that I could hear from 10 to 150 MHz. It pulsed and clearly seemed related to something turning on and off. Last weekend, while I was out hunting another source, I figured out that it was the traffic signal on the corner (we will ignore the fact that this took me a year to realize.).  I called the city traffic department, which responded, within a couple of days. I talked to a city electrician who told me that several of the lights were LEDs with built-in power supplies.

He came by yesterday. Fifteen minutes of working with him convinced him that the LEDs were the source. This morning he pulled the LED units and installed incandescent lights. As soon as I confirmed that the change solved the problem, he asked if I would help them find a filtering solution because, at some point, the LEDs will be back.  Of course I said yes.

So that's a pretty good outcome, and fairly quick, too.

73 de Bill K7WXW