RFI

Re: [RFI] SolarEdge Finds New Source of Solar System RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] SolarEdge Finds New Source of Solar System RFI
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 06:47:45 -0400
As I've said before, I've had no problems from CAT-5, and 6 and I hundreds of feet of CST-5 underneath my 75/40 meter slopers.  I have had induced voltage from lightning strikes though.  My problems with WiFi have been its speed, or lack there of when transferring large files and directories of up to 500GB, or more, over 130 feet through 4 or 5 walls, one of which is Al.  I can mount the shop antenna(s) in a window. However, there are usually 4, or 5 WiFi networks in the neighborhood which slows all of them to a crawl.

It works fine for connecting a laptop to the network in the house, but with images from my full frame D800 at 105 to 110 MB and even the DX format at 35 to 50 MB, let alone HD video, I can create some pretty big files and directories. At least the video doesn't use memory as fast as the high resolution dhots.  I'm currently running between close to 50 TB of Network (NAS) storage at home with 5 computers with all the CAT-5, but they are far from the quality of what most people purchase already assembled..

At work we went from coax to many miles of CAT-6 and I never noticed any increase in noise.  OTOH I only operated HF from the parking lot.  I had permission to take in  the 144 / 440 HTs and they worked fine setting between the two computers.

73, Roger (K8RI)