RFI

[RFI] Ferrite core and hot glue? - "Q" Dope

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Ferrite core and hot glue? - "Q" Dope
From: Lee STRAHAN <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2019 00:03:22 +0000
    I use a ready made product that sounds very similar. It dries clear and
quite solid but not glass hard. I use it to glue ferrite Binocular cores to
circuit boards among other things.
 It is quite easy to use and remains in the closed tube for very long periods
of storage. At the frequencies (Low-Bands) and places used in my business it
has not shown any unwanted reactive properties.
    I believe it is available at auto parts stores and hardware stores. We have
a local brand all purpose store here that carries it in the automotive section.
  Amazing GOOP
  Contact adhesive and sealant
  Household/Hogar   version
It comes in a silver colored tooth paste type tube with the size I use at 3.7
Fl oz
YMMV

Lee  K7TJR  OR

On 23 Aug 2019 at 10:27, Leonard Halvorsen via RFI wrote:

> Us older guys remember something called Q-DOPE.
> We used it at the Lab to attach all kinds of stuff, not just on coils.
> Can you even GET that stuff anymore?
>
> Leo H.
> WA2AMW

I make my own: A pint of MEK from the local hardware store, and as many
styrofoam cups as I can crush and allow to dissolve in the MEK, then tightly
capped.

A pint jar with 1/2 pint or so of MEK in it will normally take at least 20 ea 8
oz sized cups.

When it takes more than a minute to dissolve the bits, then stop.

If air is kept away from it, it will last a long time.

Applied evenly with a small paint brush to coils of any kind it dries clear and
hard.

Works wonders.

Ken W7EKB