RFI

Re: [RFI] Name that Noise - K6NR Victorville Receive Interference

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Name that Noise - K6NR Victorville Receive Interference
From: Dana Roode K6NR <dana.roode@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 12:07:37 -0700
Greetings RFI folks,

Richard, K6RBS, and I have done some additional investigating of my receive
interference described in this thread.  I have summarized everything in
this google doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k9-XJLehKoATtCEtdRMa-fkRkQtLds3VKu68KxrPWiI/edit?usp=sharing

The doc has links to SDR graphs and sound files.  I have two
persistent noise sources, at least.  The southerly one we have DF'd and
tracked south of me to one of two houses.  We found the electrical pole
where it is the strongest.  However, I am no expert, but the nature of the
noise may suggest a switching power supply or other device and not
electrical power lines.  You tell me.  It *amazingly* well wipes out 40
meters, as if it had been designed to do so.  And just for fun, has a wide
range of artifacts below and well above.  On AM it is a pulsating buzz
sound.

I have submitted a trouble ticket with Southern California Edison to verify
its not them, perhaps help with contracting the residents, and hopefully to
look at my second, easterly noise.  I have also reached out to the
residents at the two homes, but they are surrounded by locked fences so I
am starting by writing them letters.

The easterly noise I reported here in 2010, sounds like static crashes, but
is on pretty much every day.  There are intermittent noises as well, but I
will get to them if we make progress on these two.

I used a Alex Loop to get bearings on the southerly noise; its so strong
that it was not hard.  I am not able to hear the easterly noise on the Alex
Loop from my house, I will have to drive around more to see if I can locate
it.  I will also do some SDR graphs of it when I get a chance.

     Dana, K6NR