RFI

Re: [RFI] FCC Complaint Filing

To: n8gls@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] FCC Complaint Filing
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 18:04:03 +0000
No connection to AIRSPY other than using their products.

The AirSpy SDR coupled with SDR# SW can be used as a quite capable spectrum
analyzer.  So much so that I recommend it to clients who don't have the
thousands of $$ to spend on a dedicated spectrum analyzer.  SDR#, which is
freeware, comes with an application termed "Spectrum Spy".  It empowers the
AirSpy SDR to operate as a spectrum over a span as small as 10 MHz up to
the full span of 24 MHz through 1.8 GHz.  It's spiff, to say the least and
the cost is only around $200 for the SDR, itself, and, as I've mentioned,
Spectrum Spy comes with a free download and installation of SDR#.

Dave - WØLEV

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 6:00 PM N8GLS <n8gls@arrl.net> wrote:

> First and foremost, thanks to all who have (and still are) offering
> comments, ideas, and suggestions.
>
> I will look at an SDR dongle to aide in what appears will be a long and
> daily pursuit of local interference causing devices.   Still looking at
> spectrum analyzers as they apparently have come way down in price since I
> last looked (too many years ago).  Surprising less than or equal to some of
> the SDR defined radios I own, so can't say one wouldn't be a worthy
> addition.
>
> I have to go back and read the listing standards for these lighting devices
> to see just what the requirements are.  I think those devices fall under a
> category allowing self-certification.  There were no "FCC" markings on the
> device anywhere, but again, the standard(s) may not require any marking at
> all.  They were an ETL listed device and I still know a few people there
> and
> will get in touch them this week to see what tests were or were not
> performed.
>
> As for this whole process, it's a bit disheartening actually.  I have no
> blame for any agency or organization and really my only complaint is that
> of
> my own impatience.  I certainly will be advocating for better and easier to
> acquire documentation explaining the process.  I thank those that have
> published articles and presentations as those provided insight, knowledge
> and hope, if not just solace in knowing somebody else has been down this
> road.
>
> Thanks all and I'll post updates as they transpire,
>
> 73, Brad N8GLS

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*
*Just Think*