RFI

Re: [RFI] Fwd: Re: Help finding a source

To: Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>, Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Fwd: Re: Help finding a source
From: "chuck.gooden" <chuck.gooden@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2019 19:12:32 -0600
If it is powerline issue, I would turn off the main breaker with your radio on
a battery to verify the issue is not in your house before you find out the hard
way when the fire trucks arrive.
-------- Original message --------From: Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com> Date:
12/4/19  6:58 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com> Subject: [RFI]
Fwd: Re:  Help finding a source I agree, just sounds like power line arcing.
Heaven knows I have heard my share of it.ChuckAF4OOn 12/4/19 6:01 PM, David
Eckhardt wrote:> Try again:>> In your third image, the audio spectrum, the
groups (first peak of first> group to first peak of next group) is 17.5 ms.>
deleted image...........> The period on one cycle at 60 Hz is 16.67 ms. Very
close. The sound clip> also sounds suspiciously like 60 Hz discharge from the
power distribution> somewhere in your vicinity. I usually detect this at 120 Hz
as the> discharge occurs at both the + and - peaks of the sine wave. But not
in> this case. In the time domain, I also usually detect an exponentially>
decaying envelope for each discharge. No so in this case. But,> considering the
period and sound, I'd guess its due to power distribution> discharge in you
area. Walk the power lines with your battery-powered> radio. When you find a
pole that is particularly, kick the pole hard and> observe any change in the
character of the sound on your radio. If no> change, its not at that pole.
Continue searching. Also, damp weather> usually exacerbates the discharges as
does dusty conditions.>> Dave - WØLEV>> On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 12:00 AM David
Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>>