RFI

Re: [RFI] Help finding a source

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Help finding a source
From: Bill Steffey <ny9h@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 07:52:52 -0500
Hi,

mfj still sells a #852   which is nothing more than a VHF am receiver with a dipole integrated onto the case.. ..  Bought one new 14 years ago   then found another at a hamfest for 40$ .

After showing Commonwealth Edison rfi guy my panadapter and the beam heading stuff, I took him into the neighbors back yard with this little box with a meter & headphones. Straight to the bad pole. He said it worked better than the Radar Engineers equipment ...( not quite) ....and at that price his boss could get a few MFJs rather than passing around the expensive boxes... at least till need was indicated.  For powerline noise it is nothing but an aircraft AM receiver with a dipole ...which you retract for attenuation as you approach the suspect.  WORKS GREAT....   They sell the same meter with a beam for more money,,,

https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-852