RFI

Re: [RFI] Light Dimmer

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Light Dimmer
From: Gary Johnson <gwj@wb9jps.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 15:58:02 -0800
I will do an FCC part 15 pre-qualification conducted emissions test next week on a new dimmer that I have on hand, a Lutron DVCL-153P. An quick informal test last year using my trusted DFing antenna and SW receiver proved that it is very quiet on 40 and 20m with an incandescent load. I did no other testing at that time.

With an LED light fixture as a load I found, by measurement of common-mode noise, that conducted noise current from the fixture was roughly proportional to the dimmer setting.

My RFI web page has formal test reports on various LED light bulbs and other devices. I have found that screw-in bulbs are, as a rule, very quiet, with GE and Feit being the best measured. I have yet to find an LED light *fixture* that is even remotely acceptable.

http://wb9jps.com/Gary_Johnson/RFI.html

-Gary NA6O