RFI

Re: [RFI] Tesla's Response to Solar Panel RFI

To: "'<Rfi@contesting.com>'" <rfi@contesting.com>, "'Stan Zawrotny'" <k4sbz.stan@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Tesla's Response to Solar Panel RFI
From: "Eddie Edwards" <eddieedwards@centurylink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 18:54:48 -0600
I totally agree with Stan's assessment, and would recommend all hams who
operate HF and VHF bands begin contacting the ARRL and the FCC immediately
regarding this issue whether you have solar RFI today or not.

This issue will only grow worse with time and we'll soon all have this
problem next door as politicians continue to move utilities away from fossil
fuels and towards expensive renewables like wind & solar power eventually
making the cheap, noisy home solar power more affordable to lower
electricity bills.

We can't hope for a weakness in solar power technology like BPL had with
WiFi technology obsoleting house-wired BPL.  All it will take for solar to
win in courts is for politicians to change the FCC Part 15 in favor of the
home solar systems and companies that make and sell them.  We need political
activism now not judicial court actions taking years doing nothing.

1. If not already a member, put aside your politics and join ARRL.  It will
take a large organization with a large membership to take on this battle.
2. Contact your ARRL section manager and regional directors about the
problem and your expectations of ARRL actions.
3. Contact the FCC in writing complaining about solar power system companies
ignoring FCC regulations and complaints by license radio services.
4. Any other ideas out there?  Please share them here and on and club email
or facebook groups.

I can see this issue eventually forcing amateur operators to add full power
amps to their stations so they can be heard by hams suffering from solar
RFI.  So it might be viewed reasonable for ARRL to submit a request to the
FCC to increase the legal maximum power output for Amateur Radio stations.
I'm not proposing this as an actual solution, but as a desperate measure in
response to the FCC's failure to act appropriately to resolve the problem.

Geez, with HOAs reducing the number of licensed operators on HF and now
this, HF operation could become a thing of the past if we lose this battle
in the long run.

73, de ed -K0iL
Ed Edwards
Omaha, NE