RFI

Re: [RFI] Question: Conducted vs. Radiated Emissions

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Question: Conducted vs. Radiated Emissions
From: Gary Johnson <gwj@wb9jps.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 08:08:23 -0800
Jim is once again spot-on about the huge procedural error regarding how
conducted emissions are measured for consumer devices. The FCC Part 15 requires
only a single-ended (hot to ground, neutral to ground) measurement of noise
voltage using a line impedance stabilization network (LISN). There is NO
common-mode measurement required, no use of any clamp-on current sensing
device.

MIL (and some other) standards are completely different and do require proper
CM measurements. Those of us who worked in EMC always brought our current
probes with us when trying to track down a problem. Performance data for lights
and various devices that I present on my RFI website DO have true common-mode
noise data. http://wb9jps.com/Gary_Johnson/RFI.html
<http://wb9jps.com/Gary_Johnson/RFI.html>

-Gary NA6O