RFI

Re: [RFI] Guidance on finding noise?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Guidance on finding noise?
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 07:29:26 -0600
Just something to add to the database:

I recently had a noise source appear on 160. As per my usual procedure, I re-transmitted the 160 noise to my cellphone and took a walk with the VHF tracker. (That way I can tell from the fluctuations whether I'm hearing the right source.) I found several noise sources nearby, but none matched.  I had an 80 meter rx loop I made for another purpose, but I could hear the noise with that, and tracked it to a neighbor's garage. I came from one of those LED "tubes", used to replace fluorescent lights, about 30 feet from my 160 rx antenna.

While the 80 m loop worked OK, at 2.5 feet square it's a bit unwieldy. I wonder if a two-turn loop a foot square could be made to work on 160. I'm thinking of making it like my larger single turn loops, made of coax with a break in the shield. Has anyone tried that? Or would it be easier to just make an unshielded loop and feed it with a balun?

73,

Scott K9MA

--
Scott  K9MA