RFI

[RFI] How to proceed?

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] How to proceed?
From: N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 21:56:46 -0500
Recently, I have experienced constant S8 line noise on 160 meters.  I've killed the power in my house and run the radio on batteries, with no change, so it's nothing inside.  When I drive down the road a couple hundred yards away, which has a 3-phase powerline on one side, with my car radio tuned to 1710 KHz, the noise is almost deafening, with definite peaks at certain poles, as well as intermittent snapping and crackling noises that really suggest something loose or broken..  However, today I went out with my homebrew VHF aircraft band Moxon, hoping to narrow down the noise-maker(s) to particular poles, and to my surprise I could not hear anything comparable to what I heard at 1.7 MHz.

Any suggestions about how I might go about tracking down the source or sources?  The local power company guy is very willing, but does not have much training to go on.

--
73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network